Produce Quality Assurance Inspector
This position is located at our Shelbyville Distribution Warehouse.
Pay ranges from $14 to $19 per hour based on experience.
The primary function of this position is to contribute net profit return to the company through a reduction of quality-related losses on the inbound shipments as well as current inventory of produce commodities.
Role model and demonstrate the company’s core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion, and safety of others.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide assurance that all incoming product conforms to written and approved quality specifications.
- Perform inspections on inbound product following company guidelines and written specifications.
- Communicate with buyers and merchandising department on inventory levels, short dated product, shrink and other quality related issues on a timely basis.
- Check quality, condition, color, brix, pressure levels, weights, counts, sizing, and pulp temperatures on inbound produce product.
- File claims on out of spec product and follow company guidelines and procedures for filing and recording claims. Communicate with merchandising, procurement, and vendor.
- Reject product that is out of temperature or dating guidelines. Communicate such to immediate supervisor, merchandising and procurement staff.
- Be actively involved in banana ripening process and ensure that bananas are shipping to stores at proper color stage and temperature.
- Work with supplier(s) and buying team(s) in identifying and correcting any quality issues.
- Keep inspection area sanitized and thermometers and scales calibrated.
- Perform expiration date surveillances daily on current product at the distribution center.
- Identify improperly rotated product and correct the rotation issue.
- Communicate and work closely with receivers and supervisors on specific receiving needs to expedite the unloading and breakdown of inbound product in a safe and efficient manner.
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Some of the behaviors needed to successfully perform this position are:
- Puts the Customer First - Anticipates customer needs, champions for the customer, acts with customers in mind, exceeds customers’ expectations, gains customers’ trust and respect.
- Communicates Effectively and Candidly - Communicates clearly and directly, is approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides and seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens.
- Achieves Results Through Teamwork – Is open to diverse ideas, works inclusively and collaboratively, holds self and others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual and team goals.
- Leads Through Positive Influence – Demonstrates strong character, builds partnerships, models a conscious balance between work and personal life, takes personal responsibility for own development, role models leadership qualities such as motivation, inspiration, passion and trust.
- Coaches and Develops Others - Develops and cares about associates, builds effective teams, helps people be their best, values and manages diversity, provides candid and constructive feedback.
- Leads Change and Innovation - Challenges the status quo, embraces technology, puts forward creative ideas, champions and implements process improvements, gathers the ideas of others, demonstrates good judgment about which ideas will work.
- Executes with Excellence - Is action oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations and milestones, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems, can be counted on to consistently meet or exceed goals.
- Provides Clear and Strategic Direction - Plans and organizes well, sets a clear and simple course of action, stays focused on the most important priorities, has the ability to visualize and plan for the future, understands the industry and marketplace.
- Safety Awareness -Identifying and correcting conditions that affect employee safety, upholding safety standards.
Minimum Position Qualifications
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Ability to pass drug test.
- Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency.
- Familiarity with distribution center terms and processes.
- Ability to work on a computer
Desired Previous Job Experience
- High school education
- Two years’ experience in a warehouse environment or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Potential Career Path from this position
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Distribution Supervisor
- Store Management
Frequently do the following:
- Dynamically and statically stand up to 2 hours without a break; up to 12 hours per day.
- Sit up to 2 hours without a break; up to 12 hours per day.
- Speak and hear.
- Occasionally required to do the following activities:
- Walk up to 30 minutes without a break.
- Twist upper torso.
- Stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Lift up to 50 pounds up to 6 feet and carry for a distance of 40 feet.
Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.